Friday, July 20, 2012

Harper's story

Harper doesn't technically turn one until Sunday, July 22nd. But I won't be around much this weekend, so I'm going to go ahead and celebrate here.

Let's recap shall we?

Will and I knew we wanted to try for a baby the minute we got married. We were still "fresh" off his deployment and we knew exactly what we wanted. We figured we would start trying on our wedding night. We obviously didn't get pregnant that night or even that month. We tried for a couple of months after that and nothing happened. I got frustrated and said..."what will be, will be". So we just went about our lives. I took many pregnancy tests just waiting for that positive. I "just knew" I was pregnant, but never was. Will would get so frustrated with me and tell me to just "chill out". So I did.

On Dec. 12th 2010, I woke up and thought I should pee on a stick. I had no reason what so ever to believe I was pregnant. We weren't really actively trying, I didn't feel weird, but something in my head told me to just do it. I took the test and waited about 15 seconds and bam....PREGNANT!

I flipped out and all the sudden found myself scared to death. What have we done?! I go wake up Will to tell him, and didn't believe me. His reaction.."how? when?" Good question...we have no idea when it happened! Will advised me to go to work and grab a digital pregnancy test on my lunch break. I sat at work and so many thoughts were going thru my head. I couldn't even fathom how much life would change. But honestly, I was scared to death to go the doctor...I knew it would mean blood work! (how funny now!) I zipped out of work at lunch and ran to CVS and literally ran thru the front door to the guest bathroom. Sure enough...PREGNANT! I took a picture on my blackberry and sent it to Will. His reaction..."you have to be shitting me?!" Nice, huh!? :) I immediately called the doctor to make an appointment and started to fret about telling my parents! I went 26 years actively trying NOT to get pregnant and now I feel like I'm going to be in trouble! LOL...

That evening I had plans to go to a cookie exchange party at a sorority sister's house. On my way there I was talking on the phone with K.Hart. I remember her asking me if I had any baby updates. It took all I had not to shout it from the roof tops. But I remained quiet..barely. I make it to the party and of course, my friend is waiting on me and hands me a glass of alcoholic cider. Oh crap! I take it and she notices I'm not drinking it, she then asks, "are you pregnant"...I reply "no, I just have to work tomorrow and have to drive home". Shew...dodged the second bullet!


My toughest lie was that Saturday. We had booked a hotel room in DC to celebrate Maggie's birthday. We were going to paint the town red! As we were driving into town we couldn't stop talking about the future and all the fun things that were going to happen. From the moment we even talked about kids, Will had already picked out the stroller he wanted us to use. So we were driving and saw a lady push a stroller across the street in front of us. I couldn't hold it in any longer, I needed to tell my mom. Will begged me not too, because of course he felt like we would be in trouble (seriously?! Will!). And he felt like it was still too early. I called her and told her to start saving her money for an Orbit. She laughed and said some day. I said nope...seriously, you only have 9 months! She was more shocked than excited I think. We never mentioned we were trying. Of course my dad figured it out quick. I asked him what he had planned for his birthday in August, he said, "why, are you pregnant?!" Haha, oh Grandy!

I ended up telling Maggie that night because I can never get one past Maggie! She shed a tear or two from excitement. Will and I were on cloud nine!

The next seven months ended up having so many ups and downs. I had a miscarriage scare, I was hospitalized twice for kidney stones (one 4 day stay during Easter!), PIH, Pre-eclampsia, etc. I think it was God's way of getting me over that needle fear I had before Harper. I was certainly a pro with needles by this point.

When I was exactly 35 weeks pregnant I found myself back in the hospital. My blood pressure was high and I got strict orders to stay off my feet. I was distraught thinking I would be stuck in bed for 5 weeks! I was advised to follow-up with my doc in 2 days. Will and I went to our doctors appointment on Thursday, July 21st as a family of two and left as a family of 3! They took me straight over to the hospital and starting inducing labor ASAP. I was scared to death, my baby still had 5 more weeks to cook. They prepared me for the worst and told me no matter what she would have to stay in the NICU because of her gestational age. I was just praying for a healthy baby, but I was mentally prepared for the NICU stay.

12 hours of labor later, I was wheeled into the operating room for an emergency c-section. At 6:50am, I met my daughter for the first time. All 6 lbs and 11oz of her. Unfortunately, meeting her was a blur. I was very nauseous and hazy from the 12 hours prior.

But I will never forget wheeling into the NICU to see my daughter. She was just perfect. So peaceful and content.


Harper and I were released from the hospital three days later and that is where our life begins....

To Be Continued....

10 comments:

  1. I remember that phone call!! :) Harper is such a lucky little girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, incredible weblog structure! How lengthy have you ever been
    running a blog for? you made blogging look easy.
    The entire look of your web site is magnificent, let alone the content material!
    Here is my website : Perth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?

    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having
    problems finding one? Thanks a lot!
    my site: click the following web page

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually
    code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!
    My homepage ; click through the up coming website

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mates, how is all, and what you desire to say on the topic of this piece of writing,
    in my view its really amazing for me.
    Feel free to surf my homepage :: New Bubble Shooter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so
    I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for rookie blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.
    Here is my web site ; Family vacation at Upper James Manor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet
    my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    My site ... 69videosporno.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there would you mind stating which blog platform you're using? I'm going to start my own blog soon but I'm having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

    my website :: teen porno video

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am
    really happy to read all at single place.

    Look at my blog; http://www.cuteteenporn.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, I've just been searching for info about this subject for a while and yours is the greatest I have discovered till now. But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you positive about the source?

    Also visit my page ... teen couple fucking

    ReplyDelete